(Wait. Is that how the song goes?)
I’ve neglected this blog, the antho (off and on), writing, and other things for the past couple of weeks. Work. Busy. Timing. That stuff. Not as many students this term thanks to a schedule that mainly consists of 12 week classes and two of them in the afternoon (NOTE: afternoon classes aren’t particularly popular when the local Chick Fil-A — or fill in the blank with other appropriate regional chain saturated in its own religopolitics — isn’t that far from school).
I’ve still managed to keep apprised of a few things and am quickly learning more about my aging self than I could ever expect:
- The Walking Dead — I’m enjoying its parallel to the comic once again. Hey, I don’t mind when it strays from its original source material, but I don’t have time to think about originality right now, and I don’t want to play the ol’ Guess-Who’s-Gonna-Kick-It-This-Episode game right now. Not interested in the upcoming head-destroying scene that the season’s so obviously building up to though. I don’t do hardcore horror. See entry on face-destroying for details on that.
- 10 Cloverfield Lane — I loved this movie, and I think it was made specifically for those like me who didn’t like its predecessor much due to the vomit-inducing shaky-cam. It also focuses more on the human monster, less on the alien monster, which is a lot more interesting, imho. I may never look at John Goodman the same way again. He is phenomenal in it.
- I think some of my friends are drifting away, utterly uninterested in what little I have to offer. I feel like I’m an interloper half the time they chat with each other, and I’m there, somewhat. I blame academia and the local “literati.” It’s like a secret club, but instead of a badassed secret handshake, one must have have a lengthy list of publications and/or an administrative position to join. I just have eyerolls.
- Speaking of eyerolls, Arrested Development on Netflix. Fab. I’ve missed it. The Bluths are my newfound escape for whenever I get the naughty urge to make fun of someone else.
- Jesus, it seriously looks like Donald Trump will be the GOP contender for the title of (our first fascist?) President. He’s a scary b’stard, but his followers are even more frightening in their anger. I can only hope it never comes to pass. Even my conservative friends are worried, and they’re usually often much more concerned that a liberal will take the helm (Me: If ONLY!)
- On a MUCH lighter note…something truly awesome happened over the past week, and as soon as everything is official, so to speak, with all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed, I’ll share here. It’s grand.